Getting charged with a DUI is frightening, but it doesn't have to be. Although there is a lot of negativity around this, and you may have been told by others that there is no hope of getting your charges reduced and/or dismissed, in most cases this is entirely false. Even if there is a lot of evidence against you, don't be so quick to plead guilty. Doing so erases your bargaining power, rendering you practically helpless.
Defenses to Reduce Your DUI Charges
Despite what you've heard or been taught, there are a number of ways to get DUI charges reduced or eliminated entirely in California. Here are some of the defenses that can be used to help lessen the charges, taking a weight off your shoulders.
- Chemical tests aren't always accurate indicators of alcohol impairment. Some studies contradict the effectiveness of these breath machines or blood methods. Many things can change the accuracy of these tests, from user error, inaccurate periodic testing, and failure to be able to prove compliance with proper scientific procedures and protocols.
- DUI isn't the only explanation for alleged bad driving. There are numerous other reasons you may have been pulled over. You may have been agitated, stressed out, or in a hurry in some way or, simply, inattentive.
- California DUI sobriety checkpoints must adhere to specific legal requirements. What this means is that if these requirements weren't strictly complied with, your case may be dismissed. For example, if you arrived at a DUI roadblock, and the roadblock didn't give you an escape route or wasn't publicized, this may help get these charges reduced or dismissed.
- The BAC (blood alcohol content) result may not be accurate. Many factors can come into play here, the most common of which is called “rising blood alcohol levels”. This means that you may have been driving at less than .08% even though they have a result above 0.08%. By waiting to administer the test, the results were skewed unfairly high.
- Police have an obligation to follow proper procedures. For example, the officer has to have probable cause for pulling over your vehicle.
- Blood testing isn't always accurate. A number of factors can affect the results, including improper storage of your blood sample or contamination on the part of the lab, rendering results meaningless.
Contact a Fresno DUI Lawyer Immediately
When you need help getting the best possible result for a DUI, it's important to contact Fresno DUI attorneys who specialize in this area of law. This is a crucial step to getting your case reduced. It isn't something to be overlooked since it's unlikely a judge will take you seriously without one. There are ways to get out of a DUI. All it takes is a little help and a lot of knowledge. At Wapner Jones, PC, we have become the most educated and advanced in DUI defense in the Central Valley.
Please contact our firm for a free initial consultation.