Why Do I Need a Lawyer for My Fresno DUI?
There is no need to fight your DUI all alone. Hire a Fresno DUI defense lawyer to defend your DUI charges.
Why You Need a Fresno DUI Attorney
If you are facing DUI charges in court, you have three options:
- try to get a public defender;
- represent yourself in court; or
- hire a private attorney who specializes in DUI defense.
A DUI lawyer is more than just a criminal lawyer. You need a Fresno DUI attorney who has years of experience, specializing in DUI defense. DUI's are a very specific criminal matter with many complicated facets specific to the charges involved in driving under the influence. DUI cases are very technical, with a heavy emphasis on the science behind chemical testing of breath and blood. It is important to have a lawyer who is more than just familiar with DUI's, but specializes in handling DUI's in the Fresno area.
A California Public Defender
The public defender can sometimes face harsh criticism, although there are a number of very talented lawyers in the public defender's office. Many see the public defenders as lawyers who don't care about their clients, and are just there to push people through the system as fast as possible. Many public defenders are decent attorneys, who do their best given their tough job.
However, there are some major disadvantages when using a public defender to represent you in a DUI case.
- It may be difficult to even get representation by the public defender. The court reserves lawyers in the public defender's office for "indigent" clients. To qualify, you will have to disclose to a judge in open court your personal financial information. It will be up to the judge to determine whether you qualify for public defender representation.
- DUI cases involve a specialized area of criminal law, and most public defenders do not have a lot of experience specializing in DUI law, or the scientific understanding necessary to best defend your DUI case.
- After a public defender is assigned to your case, you may find it impossible to change your lawyer, even if you don't like the way your lawyer is working with you on your case.
- The public defender will only handle the criminal case. You will be left alone to handle your DMV hearing. A DUI involves both the criminal case and the administrative DMV hearing. Both of these will have possible penalties and significant effects on your life. A DUI lawyer will help you with both the criminal case AND the DMV hearing.
- Public defenders have too many clients, too many cases, and are under a lot of pressure. Public defenders face time and energy constraints, and many are not able to devote their full attention to prepare your DUI defense. If a public defender walks into court each and every day with up to 100 cases on the calendar just for that one day, how much time do they have to devote to your individual case?
Self-Representation for a California DUI
It is an uphill battle trying to represent yourself facing a criminal charge. You are not advised to face a DUI charge without an experienced lawyer who specializes in the law and science of DUI cases.
The right Fresno DUI attorney will be able to:
- investigate and develop the specific issues favorable to your case,
- understand the particular court, judges, and community where your case is being heard, and
- work to negotiate a deal to minimize any harmful effects on your personal life.
Real life courtrooms are not like they appear on movies and television. Even the most intelligent and well-read people will not have the specialized legal knowledge and experience with the Fresno courts and officers to effectively defend a DUI charge.
Specialized California DUI Lawyers
Hiring a private lawyer who specializes in California DUI defense and DMV hearings will offer the best chance to win your case. DUI lawyers understand the latest developments in DUI law. They have experience with potential winning strategies, and the best defenses given your specific set of facts. DUI cases involve scientific and technical understanding, which changes all the time. The best DUI lawyers will spend the time keeping current on the scientific developments, and legal strategies from across the country. A DUI lawyer will be able to help you through the court proceedings and the DMV hearing so that you can keep your driver's license.
Not all lawyers charge the same to defend your case. Here in the California Central Valley, lawyers' fees may range from $500 up to $7,500 for a misdemeanor, first-time DUI. You may be tempted to go with the cheapest option, but don't let cost be the only factor. Remember, you need a DUI lawyer with the experience, knowledge, local understanding, and personalized commitment to have a real impact on your DUI case. Be careful of lawyers with discounted fees who may simply show up to court and try and make you take a plea, without spending any time investigating your facts or coming up with options and strategies to defend your case. Your best chance at success comes from choosing a qualified attorney who has devoted their professional practice to defending Fresno DUI's.
Contact Fresno DUI Attorneys
If you were arrested for a DUI, you have rights and you have options. Contact Wapner Jones, PC to schedule your consultation. We will discuss your specific case, and discuss all the options for your best defense. Our clients have come from all across the central valley, including Kings, Madera, and Tulare counties.
Proof of Our ExcellenceTrusted & Recommended