Fresno Health Care Fraud
Central Valley Health Care Fraud Defense for Tulare, Madera & Kings Counties
Health care fraud can also be known as Medicare fraud, Medi-Cal fraud, medical insurance billing fraud, HMO fraud, or health insurance fraud.
Health care fraud can include:
- Billing insurance companies or the government for more expensive services than those the patient received (or "up-coding");
- Issuing medical supplies to patients who do not need the supplies;
- Performing medical procedures which are not medically necessary or appropriate for a given patient;
- Overcharging and over-billing for medical procedures;
- Billing for procedures that were never actually performed (or "phantom billing");
- Giving or receiving kickbacks for referring each other business in the medical field; or
- Submitting false or fraudulent claims to Medi-Cal; Medicare; or private insurance companies.
Health Care Fraud Penalties
Penalties for health care fraud can depend on the nature of the fraud involved. If the fraudulent claims are worth $950 or less in total, the offense will be prosecuted as a misdemeanor. Misdemeanor health care fraud includes penalties of up to six (6) months in jail, and a fine of up to $1,000.
However, if the fraud is charged as a felony, the penalty increases to imprisonment of up to five (5) years, and a fine of up to $50,000, or double the amount of the total fraud. Conviction can also result in the loss of one's professional license.
California Health Care Fraud Defense Lawyers
We have the skills, knowledge and professional representation to guide you through the legal process from beginning to end. If you have questions regarding health care fraud, or any other criminal case or investigation, do not hesitate to contact Wapner Jones, PC to schedule a free consultation. Fill out our online contact form today, or call (559) 257-4707.
Proof of Our ExcellenceTrusted & Recommended