What is SR22 in California?
What is SR22?
SR22 is a document used to verify that a “high-risk” individual
has insurance. SR22 is not in and of itself an insurance policy. The SR22
form is prepared by an insurance company and then filed with the California
Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV).
An SR22 document is generally required once a Fresno driver attempts to
reinstate her license after having been convicted of a driving related
offense. These offenses typically include:
- Driving Under the Influence (DUI);
- Reckless driving; and
- Driving without insurance.
California SR22 Policy
Under California law, you may be required to purchase SR22 whether or not
you are the owner of a vehicle. Currently, there are three types of SR22
forms in California:
- An Operator's Policy Certificate: Covers the financial cost if the
driver does not own a vehicle;
- An Owner's Policy Certificate: Covers the financial cost for vehicles
owned by the driver; and
- A Broad Coverage Policy Certificate: Covers the financial cost for all
vehicles that are owned or not owned by the driver.
SR22 Costs in California
SR22 is expensive and the premium you will be required to pay each year
is based on a variety of factors:
- Driving record: Traffic violations, DUIs, and accidents will lead to higher premiums.
- Type of vehicle: The more powerful or expensive your vehicle is, the higher
your premium will be.
- Credit score: A better credit score will keep your premium lower.
- Miles driven: The more you drive, the higher your premium will be.
- Occupation: If you have a job that requires driving, this will likely mean
a higher premium.
- Location: A higher rate of crime in your area will cause you to pay a higher
premium. Also, the greater the population in your city, the higher your
premium will be.
- Age: Drivers under 25 years of age will pay more for their premiums while
drivers between the ages of 50 and 65 will pay less.
- Gender/Marital Status: Men are generally expected to pay higher premiums.
If you are married, you will pay less than those that are single.
SR22 Coverage in California
The basic SR22 coverage includes:
- Medical; and
- Uninsured motorist.
An individual may purchase additional options that include:
- Rental care coverage;
- Non-factory equipment;
- Loan/lease gap protection; and
- Replacement cost coverage.
Securing SR22 after a Fresno DUI
Initially, you must contact a DMV-certified auto insurance agent to request
an SR22 filing. Next, you will be required to pay the processing fee to
the agent. This fee can vary and it is advantageous for you to shop around
and compare costs. Because of my contacts in the industry with DUI issues,
I have the ability to connect you with a qualified agent that will be
able to keep your costs to a minimum. In most cases, and if the timing
is right, they can keep your insurance within 10% of where it is now for
the same coverage.
Once fees have been paid, your SR22 documentation will be sent electronically
to the DMV. You will typically be required to maintain SR22 coverage for
at least three years. If you fail to do so, the DMV will likely suspend
your license until the insurance has been reinstated.
Do You Have Questions related to DUI or SR22?
If you have been arrested for DUI in Fresno and need your questions answered,
contact an experienced defense attorney who can help you navigate through
this difficult legal process.